Virginia Beach Fishing

SPONSORS

Long Bay Pointe

Bait & Tackle

Fiberglass Repair

Long Bay Pointe

Marina 

Rudee Head Boats

I met a guy tonight who said "two nights ago", Friday I guess, they caught dozens of BULL REDS in the 40" range on Sandbridge Pier at dusk.  I was suspicious, considering the ever-common "should've been here yesterday" reports AND the unbearable conditions... but then he produced hundreds of photos from a SmartPhone that looked legit and showed, indeed, several men on a pier smiling with big fish, including this dude.

Can anyone confirm this?  My Tuesday evening is free but I'd like to know before I grind my teeth through 150 red lights to get there.

um.... wait... why was this guy at Lesner Bridge tonight catching seaweed and talking to me instead of slaying Sandbridge?

I dunno about the pier..I fished Sunday after church in the surf well north of the pier and could not catch drum in the slot limit,..they were either TOO BIG or TOO SMALL...What a PROBLEM to have!

HAHAHAHA!

BA

The new storm sinkers they are selling at PA Distributers worked GREAT! A 6oz with a big spot head didn't move an INCH in the heavy surf! A winner!!!

I haven't heard any productive stories like that either. Good point why catch weeds when there are "Big Numbers"... being pulled in. As usual the "Regular Pier Hogs" never place info on any of the local sites to keep "Their "T", free of non locals who aren't in on their "Glory Hole". Really a shame when you get intimidated to fish on a "PUBLIC" fishing pier, by threats, posturing, and down right rude behavior. My thoughts, anyone want to comment on this typical problem found at most of the productive piers along our coastline.

Agree with Pier Hogs intimidation. Stopped following the http://sandbridgepier.com/ site also. No useful information posted in several months. I have asked the Pier Pros to move their giant fishing carts to the center so people can fish and they just laughed. Have not fished the little island pier for more than two years due to the hogs on the end. 

A shame to mention, but neither of my grandsons have EVER fished on a pier.  I do not have patience to deal with people being rude to me, and gosh, well, SOMEBODY would get hurt if they were rude to the little guys. Best for everybody concerned if I don't fish amongst the unthinking and ignorant.

BA

Surf and pier anglers on the northern Outer Banks beaches report excellent fishing! Keeping everyone busy are puppy drum and citation class red drum, along with other bottom feeders like spot, flounder, sea mullet and black drum. The Avalon pier reports seven red drum already this morning (Sept 30th) and twenty one last night. The Nags Head pier had eight red drum this morning and thirty yesterday. The largest went 54 inches. Jennette’s pier reports skates and hog fish and thirty red drum yesterday, all over 40 inches. The Outer Banks pier is catching spot, sea mullet and croaker and had over thirty red drum Saturday and Sunday .......... http://vbsf.net/2013/09/30/obx-snapshot-5/

Surf and pier anglers on the northern Outer Banks beaches report excellent fishing! Keeping everyone busy are puppy drum and citation class red drum, along with other bottom feeders like spot, flounder, sea mullet and black drum. The Avalon pier reports seven red drum already this morning (Sept 30th) and twenty one last night. The Nags Head pier had eight red drum this morning and thirty yesterday. The largest went 54 inches. Jennette’s pier reports skates and hog fish and thirty red drum yesterday, all over 40 inches. The Outer Banks pier is catching spot, sea mullet and croaker and had over thirty red drum Saturday and Sunday .......... http://vbsf.net/2013/09/30/obx-snapshot-5/

And 8 big drum on Rodanthe Pier in in the last two days.

Agreed to BA and tcdennis, I fish there once in a blue moon, and have never had a problem with the "Hogs" though, could be because I am 6'5 and 265lbs maybe. HAHA

I haven't heard any productive stories like that either. Good point why catch weeds when there are "Big Numbers"... being pulled in. As usual the "Regular Pier Hogs" never place info on any of the local sites to keep "Their "T", free of non locals who aren't in on their "Glory Hole". Really a shame when you get intimidated to fish on a "PUBLIC" fishing pier, by threats, posturing, and down right rude behavior. My thoughts, anyone want to comment on this typical problem found at most of the productive piers along our coastline.

I'm one of the owners of the Rodanthe Pier on Hatteras Island.  We put a daily fishing report on our website and post pictures on facebook.  Any pier operator will tell you that 95% of the problems come from the last 30 feet. 

There are many sides to the pier pirate issue.  The biggest thing to me is good pier etiquette from everyone.  If you don't like the acceptable etiquette from the regulars, find another pier to fish from.  I've fished all of them from Ocean View (used to be Harrison's pier) to Frisco Pier, and I've seen exactly what you described.  I've been going to Rodanthe for about 8 years now, because I like fishing with the people there.

I'm not sure if Sandbridge pier is public or a privately owned small bussines.  I can tell you that it is impossible to make everyone happy on a fishing pier. 

You are absolutely correct 'POPS', I agree with you totally. It is not the pier operators, nor the owners, it is the clients. I have seen a lot of different situations take place on piers from name calling to "fist-a-cuffs" to knife drawing, and even a gun pulled once on a pier in Alexandria, VA. The partners and operators of piers do, though I feel,  need to monitor their perspective properties for this type of behavior, and quell it from the first signs by  removing bad violators if needed or place rules on the pier.  Make every customer aware of the policies (RULES) the pier requires from everyone, and then strictly enforce the rules they post. Any comments are welcome.