Bait & Tackle

Fiberglass Repair

Long Bay Pointe

Marina 

Rudee Head Boats

Sign in to follow this  
BLACK ADDER

Nothing over 35"....so far

Having a lot of fun surf fishing Sandbridge, but have been having trouble finding drum larger than say 32 inches. Caught a pair of yearlings this past Saturday at 26" and 35", released a 20" speck plus flounder, blues, roundheads ALL ON HEAVERS! Planning on fishing tonight, and may try a big spinning rod with fireball rig, just to catch the smaller stuff.

And surfers...oh,dear.  I know I complained alot about knuckleheads on piers, but they are only a close second to obnoxious surfers, tourist surfers at that! I had two adult yo-yos that visited me (after I had fished this nice hole from soon after sunup) Saturday afternoon and they sat outside the bar (in the very A-plus break in the bar which was why I WAS THERE!) . Casting six ounce and baits out there did not seem to trouble them (I think I detected suicidal tendencies) so I asked one of them ,when he came within hearing, if there were more than two out there, because I don't cast that ACCURATE in my old age and I was trying not to hit them. Didn't work. So, I caught some nice fish right around their feet. The waves were stoked with the west wind,and very ridable, so I could understand WHY they were there....

:glare: 

Oh, well.....

BA

good report Chip.  this is why i fish at night since the refuge is closed, dont have to deal with surfers.

this weekend we caught a ton of keeper/slot pups.  i only kept one and released the rest, no need to be greedy.  didn't hear of any big drum caught, not sure where they were...saturday night the conditions seemed perfect for a big drum.

the season is winding down and i dont think we have much time left for the big reds.  i got one, but id sure like another , last year getting 10 spoiled me!

Fished at that location last night with my brother for a couple hours. Had a nice batch of fresh spot for bait, but could only dig out one 23" pup. Expect him to be served with hush puppies and slaw. I can only ASSUME the name hush puppies and puppy drums is a linguistic accident. But a delicious one.

Are you and your posse going back to BBNWR this weekend? It appears the gov has gotten some kind of arrangement together....for now.

BA

:food-smiley-016:

good report Chip.  this is why i fish at night since the refuge is closed, dont have to deal with surfers.

this weekend we caught a ton of keeper/slot pups.  i only kept one and released the rest, no need to be greedy.  didn't hear of any big drum caught, not sure where they were...saturday night the conditions seemed perfect for a big drum.

the season is winding down and i dont think we have much time left for the big reds.  i got one, but id sure like another , last year getting 10 spoiled me!

There still around you need to get to hatteras Island.   46 and 49 inch drum landed last night, with 2 people drum fishing.  

Yes.....

Me and the grandsons fished the same spot for a couple hours Saturday morning, getting a little black drum, and a roundhead. THEN we went and picked up some night crawlers and went to one of our freshwater spots and put together a great 50+ fish afternoon, including 10 or so LARGE brim. The kids got so tired of catching fish that they started doing other stuff...Which means my job as guide has been accomplished. Our last spot we went to a catfish hole for a half hour before their due time back home, but we had no takers.

On a different subject, my daughter and I went toYork River State Park after church yesterday. Beautiful place to walk, and no crowds. On our way out we saw many,many deer, including our first albino doe! She was mixed in with the others. And, yes, my daughters cell phone camera was dead as a doornail (of course!) . When we see Sasquatch or Aliens, I can assure you we will have ZERO battery power in her phone/camera!!!!

BA