Virginia Beach Fishing

You can support VBSF.net by becoming a GOLD SUPPORTER Today!

Sign in to follow this  
duckey

Blue Cats were hungry today!

Yes aluminum.  Maybe I'll see you out there.  I may go Friday.  I'll probably launch out of Jordan Point Marina.  Not sure if I'll fish up river or down.  Haven't fished to much up river and need to start exploring other areas.  First order of business is netting some bait.  I have soaked my net twice this winter.  The first soak produced 2 shad (25 min soak) and the second soak caught 1 and a bushel of leaves.  Still trial and error with it and locations but I hear setting the net across from Jordan Point Marina on the opposite bank setting shallow to deep seems to produce.  the last 2 times I have set it have been in 14'ish dropping to 25' of water.  Whats been your method gill net or cast net?

VBSF.net | Fishing Reports From Virginia Beach VA To Hatteras NC 

I just sold my 75 yarder but I have another 100 yarder that just needs anchors/buoys. I have two spots that I cast net before I reach the boat ramp that usually produce all the bait I can use in 18 hours. I just throw them in the livewell and they keep fine. Any shad that I know I will cut up, I will cut up and put in a freezer bag to eliminate too many in the livewell. As far as gill netting, I tend to like to find small creek mouths, or deep holes close to shore. I like one end in 10 feet so I wont lose it and one end in 30 or so that will usually sink my buoy. Ive had success in flats as well, one tip is to run w the current towards your net and spook fish into running into your net also running it parallel will push them into the net as well. Good luck! If you ever need a partner, holla at me, I can fish anytime anywhere!

Thanks for the tips!  I was dead set to head up to Jordan point Sunday with my oldest son but he became sick the night before.  Man the whether was flipping nice so I took my youngest to our bass pond in the back yard.  Oh well...this weekend I'll be up there.  I'd like to try the Deep Bottom ramp out at some point this winter/spring.  I'll let you know the next time I need someone to fish with.

Just hope we don't get more snow at the Chick ramp, they had it closed down on friday and saturday morning due to the ice. Can't say I blame them, when a person can break into a house, get trapped in the garage, be forced to survive on his own urine and dog food for a week since the owners were on vacation, and still win a lawsuit. I'd close a boat ramp too just to keep people from slipping and busting their ass. 

Headed to the James (lower James/Jordan Point next Monday with my son wheather permitting, anyone else going? That Monday is Presidents' Day.

I was planning on getting out soon... gotta see if my buddy can make it, because I just sold my truck:(

No truck! That stinks. Got the boat ready to roll out of the driveway tomorrow. Looks like rain early AM but clearing by sunup, I am sick of this rain and snow crap messing with my fishing plans and I actually am looking forward to summer at this point! I'll throw the Bimini up if I have to...U just want to go fishing!!

I had a skunk in the boat today! Launched at Jordan Point Marina, it was a balmy 32 degrees. Had to sand the ramp as it was a tad icy from some previous launches this AM. Headed just upriver looking for bait. I thought I marked some, and after letting 100' of net soak for 45 min it came up empty. Good think I brought some large frozen eel and some bunker. I fished 4 spots up and down river and barley had a few nibbles. Called it quits at 3. There were about 4 boats fishing today. Had a great time fishing with my 5yo son, he had a blast despite the cold and lack of fish!

Yeah fresh bait is usually the ticket. The Jordan Point area, I found it tough to find bait as well. Probably did  best, castnettin the cans when things got real tough. Speakin of cans... if you were to head back to Williamsburg on the river from Jordan you will find two small islands w the channel only 20 yards from their banks. Ive landed many citations right there, hope you can find it as useful as I did, both fresh shad and eels have worked there. For getting bait I can tell ya the Deep Bottom ramp has some real nice areas, but I have the best luck w a cast net near the Chick. And I bought a 2003 red F250 w 42" tires/10"lift, you cant miss her, if ya see one at the ramp, know that its me:)