Virginia Beach Fishing

You can support VBSF.net by becoming a GOLD SUPPORTER Today!

Sign in to follow this  
duckey

Blue Cats were hungry today!

Fished Lower James today with my 6 YO and 4 YO boys. We launched at Jordan Point a little past 8 and went straight across the river to opposite side and set 100' of net in 4-5' of water, had 7 fat G Shad 25 min later. Headed down river about a mile or so to a spot that has done well for me. Dropped the hook and started getting bait cut and and began to set out 6 rods. I had 4 set out and heard me youngest son scream bloody murder. I turned around to see that my oldest son had attached the fish grip to his nose, clamping it all the way shut! Right at that moment one of my rods slams down hard for a few seconds and then goes straight again. A few minutes later it slams down again and we put in what I swore was a 40 lber but my scale read 34. We moved down river by the power line and anchored on a nice big flat. Set em out again and then watched the little dinks peck at them unitl something bigger came along, pulled in a 29" 12 lber. After that went further down and set up on a new spot next to a nice bunch of pillings. It looked like a killer spot but we caught nothing. Moved further down and fished near 76A, nothing there so headed back up to out first spot. Caught one more nice cat 33" 14 lber and then called it a day at 5. Great day to me on the river!

VBSF.net | Fishing Reports From Virginia Beach VA To Hatteras NC 

Fished the lower James again today. Got a later start, had lines in at around 11. Bait was fairly easy to find. Second spot produced a feisty 31 lb 38"er. That was the only fish for the day. At about 1:30 ish the wind picked up a lot which made the arse end of the boat move all over, even with a drift sock out. I tried a few more spots that offered some lee but I finally called it quits at 3. There were a handful of other boats fishing today. Other than the wind it was a great day on the water!

Fished the James today with my two young sons and all there energy. Left the Burg at one after church. Had the net in the water at 2. Water was chocolate milk with loads of stuff floating around. A quick 15 min soak caught one gizzard shad and 2 blue cats which I released alive. A second soak was needed for more bait. Let it soak about 30 min, it was full of small blue cats which took a bit of patience to untangle. Had plenty on shad after that and fished just down river from the bridge then moved up right across from the paper mill by the piles. I didn't catch anything at all after jumping around to several spots. I had never fished this far upriver before so it was good to get some scouting in. I headed back to the ramp at 5:30. Great day to be on the water.

Planning on hitting the James Saturday and Sunday. After this weekend I'll be on the road for work until mid July. I'll be up in Maine the first week of June and will hit my old stomping grounds for Stripers. Has or is anyone fishing the James this weekend or are we all fishing the salt now that it has come to life?

Im in the salt Duckey, been catching some nice drums and getting ready to go sighting for the browns. Gill net and castnet regs are the same for james and chick as far as I know. Ive never heard or seen anything to make me think otherwise and Ive soaked a many of hour in the chick. Good luck out there and think about the bay a little bit! There a lot of fish to be had in the summer around here and your boat could take you to them...

Went out on the James with the Mrs. And my boys. Soaked some baits for several hours, a few different area and nary a peck on the baits was had. I am sure the spawn is keeping em docile right now. River temp was 76. Not to many cat fisherman out but lots of bass boats zipping around and morons with large cruisers that don't know how to drive and or realize how big of a wake they make. As for the salt I am not going to get my annual May drum trip in due to time and the cost of getting over to the Eastern shore. I'll be traveling come thus weekend and won't be back till mid to late July. But when I do I am planning a trip for sharks and or tower fishing as long as the wheather holds, the old Lund has a lot of water under her keel!

Safe travels Duckey

Thanks Zambezi. I am in Southwest Harbor maine till tomorrow (went Brook trout fishing today after work) then down to southern maine for a week (will get some striper fishing in!). Then Sault Ste Marie MI for a week then back to Maine... More striper fishing, I mean work then back to VA. Once I am settled In from being away its sharking time!

Yeah that time is coming up, I like July for the larger sharks in this area. Planning trips as we speak:)

We went out of Dutch gap last last Sunday evening cast netted a few shad fished just north of jimmy deans house 40 and a 50+ within 30 minute of each other best I've done in awhile.