Bait & Tackle

Fiberglass Repair

Long Bay Pointe

Marina 

Rudee Head Boats

Sign in to follow this  
duckey

Blue Cats were hungry today!

I took my 5 year old son out on the James River this afternoon. This was his first time on the boat with his old man. Launched at the Lawrence Lewis Jr Park boat ramp, down by the power line crossing, very shallow and scetchy) good for small light boats, it is a free public launch. Headed across the river and set a 100' gill net out for bait, pulled it in after a 25 min soak and had 2 nice Gizzard Shad. Found a nice 12' flat, set the anchor and put 6 lines in. Within 30 min or so a rod goes down hard and my son starts cranking away. The fish came to the surface and I told him it was bigger than he is. He gave the rod to me once the fish was boat side and gets the net and lands him. W got him in the boat and he weighed in at 40 lbs. fished a bit more at that spot and then headed a bit more down river and a bit more shallower. Landed one more 31" 12 pounder before going back to the boat ramp. Great day on the water, a little choppy but that died out with the wind late afternoon. I did bend 2 blades on my prop whe launching my boat so take caution if you use this ramp, getting out of there at low tide is no fun either. I think I'll head up to Jordan Point launch next time.

Glad you had a great day on the water, and you caught something, but I'd hardly count 2 fish as a feeding frenzy.

A 40lb cat in the dead of winter isn't something to shrug your shoulders over and if your 5 year old son does most of the cranking, well, I think a little bragging is in order! As for me, I was glad to see the report as its been kind of quiet here lately. And I especially like to see posts from folks that don't have the price of a house invested in their gear any time of year. I'm not knocking them, there is a lot of time invested in a big boat and learning the ropes but it is still satisfying to have a good day off the bank, pier or smaller boat. Since I've been homebound lately, I really enjoy reports in all the forums and thanks to all who post trips, results, thoughts and opinions, including these. Thanks to all for the entertainment, I'm just saying to put that trip in context- its not the springtime with warming water and plenty of shad and herring to fatten the cats on. That boy will probably remember the head of that cat breaking the water for the rest of his life as the head had to be nearly the size of a bucket- priceless!!

Angler....your right it wasnt a feeding frenzy....Just "hungry cats".  Maybe 2.5 hours of fishing time and 2 nice fish is a good day in my book and I didnt mention the ones that got away.  There were a few other boats near me that were catching them.  I think Night Stalker Guide Service and Eberwiene were out there.  Can't wait to go again soon.

I launch from the chick to head up that way... Doesn't that boatramp close at dark?

The ramp I launch at closes at dusk. It is really shallow, sands in and chopy with the right wind, pick your tides right for launching and recovering. 4 WD is a must with that ramp. it is a good tamp for lighter boats. The Jordan Point or Hopewell ramps are much better but you have to pay to launch. The chick ramp at the camp ground never closes according to the folks at the front desk. How's the cat fishing in the chick compared to the Jsmes?

Hey Duckey check the "fished lower james" post for chick answer. I think you are using the public pier in Charles city? If so, I would love for that ramp to stay open all night, because I usually fish well into the night and that ramp is near some water that I love to fish. I usually launch from rt.5 bridge and head up to Sturgeon point. I love catfishing just haven't been able to go in the past month or so, but the best times are coming up. Hope to see ya out there

Thanks for the report, never fished for cats up here. 

Zambezi

Yes the boat ramp is in Charles city and is literally at the power line crossing.  It is called the Lawrence Lewis Jr. Park Boat Ramp.  It would be real nice if it was open 24-7 but I was told that when it first opened to the public it didn't close and that there were some shady people living at the park so they gated it and then had set hours.    I looked on my Delorme Atlas for boat ramps south of there and saw none except for the Chick.  Oh well, I like the drive up to Hopewell from the Burg.  I haven't made it to Sturgeon point yet.  Lots of places to fish on the James, every trip so far has produced for me.  I haven't been since MLK day so I wonder what this cold snap is doing to the bite, I hear the worse the whether the better the fishing.  Well Give me a shout on the VHF if you see the Jennifer Lynn cursing by.  I have an olive drab Lund Alaskan and it is probably the only boat on the river with a Maine registration!

Tight lines

Thats an aluminum hull right? And yes the cats love the cold and I love them as well in the winter because they usually are FAT! Better than the skinny ones you may see in the summer, that's why I stay in the bay and ocean in the warmer months unless shes blowing a gale. I have a 24" Carolina skiff w dual controls and a 8'tower, wont see many of those either. Im probably headed out Sat., looks like there will be a break in the cold. come say hi if ya see her, because my radio is always off;)