Virginia Beach Fishing

SPONSORS

Long Bay Pointe

Bait & Tackle

Fiberglass Repair

Long Bay Pointe

Marina 

Rudee Head Boats

I love Magothy Bay area. Ive seen the biggest bullshark of my life in there and the biggest tarpon Ive seen in Va. The southern most inlet there is nasty and it pools up to 70 feet right there as well, its like a giant fishtrap. I have a 12/0 too and I always stick a huge bait on it, caught the biggest ray and second biggest shark w it too. But any 6/0 would do, shoot I have spinning gear that Id battle any fish w as long as we weren't in 300 fathoms. As far as big shark go from the beach, Id tell ya Hatteras, Ocracoke, and Magothy are my favs. But Chincoteague can be amazing at the right time and Andrew K will tell ya Assateague NP is the place to be. All can work just put in your time. Keep it reel...

OK.  So... Is it possible to paddle to Mockhorn Island from somewhere I can drop my kayak in and park my truck?   Also for fishing Magothy Bay, how is the current in there?    Zambezi, this inlet, can I get a little more info about it's location?  Also anyone around done any surf fishing from Mockhorn?

@JCR. Yeah. I'll give you call. I'm underway at the moment but will be home soon. If you get out in a couple weeks I wouldn't mind tagging along. Either way Ill give you a call when I get home to get a little bit of info from you. Mainly I just want to make sure that I keep myself safe if I paddle out there.

Well here's my email, JCR8787 @gmail.com. What kind of kayak do you have? Can you do a 6 mile roundtrip paddle? If the weather is good, we could just take an MWR rental boat over there. 

Im not sure where mockhorn is, but there is a ramp right at the foot of the small bridge on the eastern shore side. This ramp is on a creek that creates a circle w Magothy bay. So there always a way to drift back. It does close at night but you are able to leave if you were already parked. We have used this ramp for overnighters a couple times. The whole area is protected, so wind isn't a huge factor, but she can get big at the inlets near the breakers. Id be interested in taking my skiff along if you guys are indeed interested. Just finishing up some glass work on her now so she will be ready. Would like to take a few trashcans of frozen and fresh chum over there and see whats lurkin!

. What kind of kayak do you have? Can you do a 6 mile roundtrip paddle? If the weather is good, we could just take an MWR rental boat over there. 

I have a tarpon 140.  I can definitely handle a 6 mile paddle.  I am open to the idea of getting a MWR boat also.

Id be interested in taking my skiff along if you guys are indeed interested. Just finishing up some glass work on her now so she will be ready. Would like to take a few trashcans of frozen and fresh chum over there and see whats lurkin!

I am definitely in.  I happen to have off almost the whole week after Easter off.  Otherwise any weekend I'm ready to go.  Time to get the yak out of the garage and get that thing sea worthy for the summer!

I have a Ride 135. If you want to take an MWR rental the Little Creek Boats are a lot better than the Norfolk Boats. I'm waiting to see how the weather is looking the weekend of the 26th. Kayaking or taking a boat to the Eastern Shore is one of a few other fishing plans I want to do.

http://www.deq.state.va.us/Programs/CoastalZoneManagement/CZMIssuesInitiatives/SeasideWaterTrail/EasternShoreNationalWildlifeRefugeBoatRamp.aspx

This link might help- Z, the ramp is the Wise Point Ramp and is part of the NWR and Mockhorn is the island on the east side of Magothy. The link has some kayak routes and info if you want more info.

$10 to use the ramp, but it's worth it if the tide's out.  

I'd try the Frisco Pier on Hatteras Island.  The pier has been closed for a long time but you can still use the parking lot.  Easy kayak launch from the beach.