Virginia Beach Fishing

You can support VBSF.net by becoming a GOLD SUPPORTER Today!

Nice catch. And cobia lay their eggs in the shallows and this is when its time to catch them from the beach. My first cobia from the beach came from off the rocks by the HRBT, great location when the cobia are coming into the bay. Backbay as a lot of you fish is a good spot when the fish are just entering or leaving our area in their migration and on a strong east wind. I just don't think enough people go after cobia from the beach and if you would chum from the sand, they would be everywhere :cool_smiley:

VBSF.net | Fishing Reports From Virginia Beach VA To Hatteras NC 

oddly enough, all of the cobia i know of caught off the beach in the last few years have come on a W, NW, or SW wind day, when the water is flat and clean and the bunker are pushed in close.  

Well from my experiences fish get pushed into shore when the wind is blowing into the shore. Maybe Backbay is different? My point was the migration pattern and when they are coming in, in the early season and leaving in the late. Back bay is along the highway and these are the times I personally would spend time looking for them in the Backbay area. And chumming from the beach is easy, maybe not in Back bay because of Va beachs no shark fishing, but I do it all the time from piers and on the outer banks beaches. When we caught our last 10 footer we had kayaked 2 frozen 5 gallon buckets of chum and 3 lines out at 8pm, We placed them in between our lines and just used biodegradable chum bags w a river rock in it and dropped them over. Works like a charm and I never go sharkin without it. And the 78 pounder  I got off Seagull came in a chum slick. Matter of fact me and a couple of my boys will be chumming up The Seagull tomorrow, hope to find another pig swimming around to snatch a pinrig. Well I just gave up a lot of my secrets anybody else?

Read the beach….know where the cuts or edges of a sand-bar are and heave a big bait out there, and keep your fingers crossed.  Thats my secret when fishing from the beach.   Didn't catch my cobia at back bay…but it was in Va. beach and on the edge of a bar.     Always good information from you guys that post here….. thanks!  

How long do the cobia stick around. I hooked three fish last night that I was not able to land. One I fought for 20 or 30 mins. I got him in pretty close and was able to tell that he was a cobia. I actually saw another fish running with him during the fight. I was throwing a 5in swimming mullet with a half once jig head. That fish took me about 200 yards down the beach. Over two beach jetties...

Cobia are in the bay all summer long.  as we get into late summer they start to group up and prepare to go south, typically mid august into september they are leaving. 

congrats on hooking a cobie, im guessing you were fishing fort story?

Yeah....I am usual somewhere out on the beach there almost every day, but that was a first.

getting a cobia off the beach is rare, any of the northern beaches facing the bay may produce, but your ducks have to be aligned as well as the stars.