Bait & Tackle

Fiberglass Repair

Long Bay Pointe

Marina 

Rudee Head Boats

Sign in to follow this  
YoungGun11

Motor issue

Having an issues i am convinced is fuel related but would welcome any input on. I bought my first boat about 3 months back. Ran great up until a few weeks ago. 2001 yam 225 ox ss on a kencraft 215 challenger.

Starts first touch every time, idles fine. When I get her up on plane she'll run fine for 5-10 sec then throttle back down. Sounds like it is starving for fuel . . . Flush bulb appeared original so replaced it but that did not fix the problem. Any input is appreciated.

Put engine on aux tank to rule out fuel issue. If it persists with fresh tank, trace back all fuel line and valve filters. If all are clean but issue still persists, probably O2 sensor. I'd be reluctant to start fiddling with idle or a/f mix screws.

If your impeller is worn out the temp will get too high and it may restrict your rpms. Would think there woul be an alarm but I don't have that motor

Thanks for all the relpies guys . . . No alarms, bulb stayed hard, both water separators were checked and stayed clear and bright. I did come close to running the boat on a 5 gallon tank as wag said but really suspected air. Pulled my 3 low pressure pumps one at a time off the side of the motor and pumped the primer, trick a friend showed me. The middle pump was a river. Little elastomer body gave up the ghost. Going to change all 3 this weekend will post if it fixes it . . . I suspect it will. Thanks again for all the come backs