SPONSORS

Long Bay Pointe

Bait & Tackle

Fiberglass Repair

Long Bay Pointe

Marina 

Rudee Head Boats

Hi Folks,

Pardon the newbie inquiry, I've been a freshwater fisherman most of my life and have recently begun salt. I have found myself (surprisingly) with a free weekend and want to make fishing a priority. Is it a waste of time heading to, say, the Sandbridge pier at night this time of year? If no, any recommendations? I hear the rockfish are still slim and the trout are biting well inland. I'd rather not deal with the kayak today so any recommendations where I can just post up and I would be much obliged! 

Happy new year.

Welcome to the board, Sandbridge closes this time of year at sunset I believe (6years since I have fished the pier in winter time there), Sea Gull pier on the CBBT is open 24 hours 365, and the other piers in the area are closed as well  I believe. I fish the beach now and then during the winter months, and will be doing some this week I believe since the winds want to cooperate. Send me a message if you feel like trying the beach. Tight Lines

Speaking of "freshwater" and such, there are some places fairly near that you can catch wintertime blue catfish from the shore. My tribe fished Chickahominy last Saturday with the right tides and right bait and didn't get a bite, but thats wintertime fishing. Gives you a chance to get the rods out, though, and throw big baits, and like that. Or you can sit (shudder!) home,

You can also get an annual North Carolina freshwater liscence (30 bucks) and fish Mackay Island, the KI Causeway, down around Tull's Bay, etc....We really enjoy that.

Winter is scouting time for us...we go "on tour" and fish lots of spots until they produce.

BA

PS I caught three cats in Va.Beach last week,too. All good keepers and delicious.

I can agree with Black Adder 100% about fishing the Chick for blues right now!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10102785693614620&l=6c85f8c948

You can go a really longtime between big fish, but it is so worth it until the bulls return in April/May to the coast!  I had easily gone 30-40 hours with nothing before catching this beauty.