SPONSORS

Long Bay Pointe

Bait & Tackle

Fiberglass Repair

Long Bay Pointe

Marina 

Rudee Head Boats

Hello All! 

I'm relatively new to the Fairfax/NoVa area and am looking to catch some mud bugs this summer. I live near a few parks called Eakin that seem to have some streams and a Lake Accotink. Wondering if anyone has some tips or insider info where I can find a good bunch to grab! Thx!

:wakka-wakka:

I don't know if you will find what you are looking for, James.  While most any creek will hold some crawdads, they will be on the small side to eat if that is what you want (and I would too).  That's why if you mention crawdads, folks here think smallmouth bass bait and if you mention mudbugs, they just stare at you......  Good luck though and please let me know if I'm wrong- I would love to be!  If they are here though, in your area I would be checking the flats at the creek mouths as they reach the Potomac.  If it looks good, it may be good...  For bait, just set a net across any creek in the area in fast water and go upstream and stir the rocks up a bit.  Should be plenty of bait size....and hellgrammites.  
And they can bite harder than the 'dads!

I don't know if you will find what you are looking for, James.  While most any creek will hold some crawdads, they will be on the small side to eat if that is what you want (and I would too).  That's why if you mention crawdads, folks here think smallmouth bass bait and if you mention mudbugs, they just stare at you......  Good luck though and please let me know if I'm wrong- I would love to be!  If they are here though, in your area I would be checking the flats at the creek mouths as they reach the Potomac.  If it looks good, it may be good...  For bait, just set a net across any creek in the area in fast water and go upstream and stir the rocks up a bit.  Should be plenty of bait size....and hellgrammites.  

And they can bite harder than the 'dads!

Any of the estuaries from the Patomac, and any of the 2+acre lakes in your area should produce big crawdads. Ask some of the local fisherman who fish the Patomac anywhere along the Alexandria to north through Annapolis and some one will help you out, while some may be stingy at first till they get to know you. I used to work in DC and fished all over the area and knew of people getting crawdads a lot. I just knew the right people I guess. Good luck. 

It always looked good up there but usually not my primary haunt since I was a much younger man.  Didn't eat bugs then...  Good advice., Fish On!  I knew it only takes a comment one way to get someone to reply another (this meant in a good way).  First rule of anything is I can't know it all and if I did, as I got older, I forgot it.  Thanks for this reply, I'll file that away for a while, anyway.