Virginia Beach Fishing

You can support VBSF.net by becoming a GOLD SUPPORTER Today!

Thanks BA. I'm going there Tuesday afternoon with the same strategy.

VBSF.net | Fishing Reports From Virginia Beach VA To Hatteras NC 

SF...TAKE INDUSTRIAL STRENGTH BUG KILLER 'CAUSE WITH THE DAMP CONDITIONS, LITTLE WIND AND THAT FROM THE sw, THE BUGS WILL BE VORACIOUS.

BA

Saturday report: SLOW.

One sandbar shark about 5 footer, one big ray, two very nice roundheads and a couple menhaden.

Strange, but I am under orders that my grandson (8 yo) is NOT allowed to go into the surf after sharks! I have him hold the pole (which almost gets him dragged in anyway) while I go get the biter from the wash. And we got off Sandbridge just before the big thunderstorm, which was a little west , but close enough not to risk my partner getting a "HIT".

By the way, for all you weather buffs, (ANDREW K) we sat in a parking lot with an unobstructed view and saw a really neat roll cloud, obvious circulation, a rotating wall cloud, and other features PLUS big time CG lightning (cloud/ground). Very instructive for kids to see. And we even had cops stop to see if we were okay....doesn't EVERYBODY stop to watch clouds????

BA

Sounds like fun. I'm going down to my daughter's in Pungo the first week of August. Bringing the boat and hoping to get  a few sharks. Got a couple Atlantic Sharp Nose last year and they were great eating.

Roger that,SF. FRESH menhaden.

BA

PS And I made a great discovery...eight year olds LOVE to "catch" menhaden, when they are close enough to cast to! My grandson kept me more than up on supplies all day. I guess I had rigged a good bait, hmmm?

Is there anywhere near Sandbridge where one might catch bait with a throw net? 'll be down at my daughter's in Pungo in August for some fishing. We'll have three boats to fish Back Bay, Chesapeake Bay, and the ocean, but we'll also be surf fishing. Sharks are one of the species we want to catch, especially Atlantic Shapenose. I caught a couple last year and they were great eating. I need to find enough bait to keep 5 people fishing!

Croakers and spot biting at Sandbridge as of Saturday...menhaden moved out of range...one of the sponsors, Long Bay Point Tackle, usually have fresh menhaden on ice (not frozen) at a reasonable price.

Don't go to Sandbridge without bait, is my motto....You will look silly with big rods and no bait while you frantically try to catch ANY kind of bait!!! Gosh, I have done it often enough until I learned better!

Also, since you are around Pungo, you might drive down to Princess Anne NWR off PA Road (just before you get to NC) and catch up some BIG mullet there. Now ,that is NOT a sure thing, but little pieces of nightcrawler under bobbers was good for huge mullets last month.

BA

THE THREAD THAT WOULD NOT DIE!

Fished last night 1700-dark at BBNWR. Caught one bluefish (2 lbs) one spot , one roundhead. LOTS of dead menhaden in the water (there was a net boat working just off the beach earlier) and I guess it gorged any big fish rather than "chummed 'em in". Lost bait pretty consistently, from what was LIKELY bluefish, as we were using 9/0 hooks we only hooked one.  

We could also clearly see the smoke rom the big fire up at the North End. I understand some teenager was smoking and did not put it (a butt or a roach?!?!) out. Smoking IS harmful to your health.

Water was warm and clear but no pompano.

BA