Fiberglass Repair

Long Bay Pointe

Marina 

Rudee Head Boats

Sign in to follow this  
Blue Water Brotherhood

Change of Mind

Change of Mind

As much as you want to trust the weather forecasts, you never really know what the ocean is going to look like until you get out there. Occasionally, even though the weather may be calling for howling wind and building seas, captains will still make the decision to give it a try. For charter captains and professional mates, this is a difficult decision. If you don’t fish, you don’t get paid. The boat, captain and mate don’t make any money sitting at the dock. But at the same time, the safety of your crew and clients is always in the back of your mind.

Sometimes, you just have to get out there and take a look to see how bad conditions really are. On the East Coast, continued east winds can build large swells that turn into breaking waves as they approach land.  Combine that with a shallow bar in the inlet and an outgoing tide and you have a dangerous combination.  As much as you want to fish, at times the best decision is to turn around. A change of mind, an easy ride back through the inlet and safe mooring in the slip are the right decisions for the day.

Psalm 51:1-12(ESV)

Have mercy on me, O God, according to your steadfast love; according to your abundant mercy blot out my transgressions. Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin!

For I know my transgressions, and my sin is ever before me. Against you, you only, have I sinned and done what is evil in your sight, so that you may be justified in your words and blameless in your judgment. Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity, and in sin did my mother conceive me. Behold, you delight in truth in the inward being, and you teach me wisdom in the secret heart.

Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean; wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow. Let me hear joy and gladness; let the bones that you have broken rejoice. Hide your face from my sins, and blot out all my iniquities. Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. Cast me not away from your presence, and take not your Holy Spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of your salvation, and uphold me with a willing spirit.

2 Samuel chapters 11 and 12 are the record of King David’s sinful fall as he committed adultery with Bathsheba. Not only did he sleep with another man’s wife, but after she became pregnant, King David devised an elaborate plan to hide his iniquity by killing her husband. Uriah was not only Bathsheba’s husband; he was also one of King David’s mighty men of 30 who had proven himself a great warrior and faithful follower throughout David’s history.

King David brought Uriah home from the battlefield, hoping Uriah would sleep with his wife and cover up David’s sin. But Uriah was an honorable man, and knowing his fellow soldiers were on the battlefield, he chose to sleep on the ground outside rather than take up his residence. In one last attempt to cover up his sin, King David sent Uriah back to the front lines and instructed the army’s leader to pull back, ensuring Uriah’s demise.

Nathan the prophet came to King David and rebuked him with the Word of the Lord. Rather than respond harshly to the prophet for being admonished, David’s response was simply “I have sinned against the Lord”. (2 Sam 12:13)

David has been called a man after God’s own heart.  But David’s heart is the one that is revealed as he composed Psalm 51. Through this poem, King David confesses his sinful nature and petitions the Lord for forgiveness. Psalm 51 is a model prayer of repentance.

Repentance is a changing of one’s mind and heart that leads to a changing of one’s actions. Repentance is the brokenness of our heart over sin that leads us to turn from our nature and place our trust in Christ.

Because of David’s sinful nature, many men lost their lives, including his son born to Bathsheba who died shortly thereafter. As well, the king’s family suffered the consequences of David’s sin for many years to come. But because of God’s faithfulness, David received forgiveness and was cleansed of his iniquities.

1 John 1:9 – “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.”

Brothers, let us also be broken over our sinful nature and praise God this day for His forgiveness.

Tip:

Thankfully, the offshore captain of today has a myriad of weather tools available at hand. Before leaving the dock, make sure you have a clear expectation of what you think the wind and water will be throughout your day. Today’s hour-by -hour forecasts can show you whether the wind will be turning, building or dropping as your fishing progresses. If you traverse a dangerous inlet to the fishing grounds, understand the effects of the tidal cycle with the anticipated wind. Remember, you can always delay your fishing trip or return early or later depending on when the tidal current will be flooding. (DW)

View the full article