Virginia Beach Fishing

You can support VBSF.net by becoming a GOLD SUPPORTER Today!

We have fished the Triangle Wrecks the past few weekends. We went out in fairly rough conditions yesterday. We caught 14 flounder, a decent catch of sea bass, and all of the small bluefish we could handle. We also caught some world-record sized clear nose skates and yes, there is a world-record for clear nose skate. The current record is 3 pounds 4 ounces with a pending record of 4 pounds 2 ounces. Our first skate weighed over 5 pounds on the Boga Grip. The second skate was even larger. We had a couple other record-sized skates along with some smaller ones. We did not keep any of the skates so they are still swimming around out there if you want to catch a record.

The previous weekend, the forecast did not look too pleasant when we were making our plans so we headed to the Triangle Wrecks instead of heading offshore. We caught bluefish, flounder and sea bass. We also hooked up a couple of nice squid, a little porgy, and plenty of skates and a few sharks. I lost the largest flounder of the day when the hook pulled right near the boat. Wes Blow made a gallant attempt to net the fish and he would have gotten it if he had had 6 more inches of net handle to work with. We caught bluefish by trolling, casting and jigging but I caught the largest blue of the day on a flounder rig that somehow managed to survive the fight. Similar to my flounder story, Wes had a big blue almost to the boat when his flounder rig parted.

The weekend prior, we caught little bluefish. We did not catch a lot of anything or anything particularly large. I think we ended up catching 8 flounder, sea bass, a couple of triggerfish, 2 Atlantic bonito, a number of bluefish and some other critters. Our most interesting catch was an Atlantic Angel Shark caught by Stan Simmerman. This is the second one of these strange sharks that we have caught while flounder fishing.

PB150078_zpsooyiiogm.jpg

Stan%20Simmerman_zpsxdq6pbwo.jpg

PB010075_zpslmd86eqs.jpg

PB010070_zpsavjjrfsw.jpg

PB010067_zpsh6zg3bsg.jpg

PB010063_zpswnqwy8yz.jpg

DSC_0028_zpsnuuek13b.jpg

PB010060_zpsvvnklw62.jpg

DSC_0001_zpsikjgxllr.jpg

Danny%20Forehand_zpsmpvbvlyw.jpg

Danny%20Stan_zpswfp5ebjg.jpg

VBSF.net | Fishing Reports From Virginia Beach VA To Hatteras NC