Long Bay Pointe

Bait & Tackle

Fiberglass Repair

Long Bay Pointe

Rudee Head Boats

Sign in to follow this  
Ken Neill

Tuna, Dolphin, Rockfish

Friday, I went over to the boat to get ready for Saturday's offshore trip. Hunter Southall ran over to Plantation with the same results I had last week. One drift, caught a fish, came home. He did it 1 pound better than me. His 41.1 pound fish knocked me out of 1st place in the month-long Irv Fenton Memorial Rockfish Tournament.

Yesterday, we ran to the Norfolk Canyon to try for some tuna. Before the day was done, we were all fishing in short-sleeves. Fishing was good. We caught a few dolphin. We caught 5 yellowfin tuna out of about 8 bites. Late in the afternoon, we had a very impressive explosion on the flat-line bait closest to the boat. The bigeye tuna came half out of the water. After a long fight, the hook pulled but now we had to fish longer. It was not too long after that when we had two big explosions on the short riggers. One came tight and we managed to hold on to that one. It's tuna for Christmas dinners at our houses this year.

When we got into cell range, I had messages waiting for me. Gabe Sava fished inside the James River. They weighed in a 55 pound 6 ounce rockfish, angler Kirk Boswell. Wendy Elford said that her menfolk had each weighed in a big rockfish on the Eastern Shore. Danny Forehand had lost a big rockfish at the high rise but he was still fishing. Now that I am way down in the standings, I'll be back out after the rockfish later today after I recuperate from yesterday a bit more. Hunter Southall fished for rockfish Friday then fished with us yesterday. After cleaning the tuna, we did not get home until after 1am this morning. The rest of us went to bed, Hunter got back in his truck drove down to Oregon Inlet. He's back out tuna fishing right now.