Long Bay Pointe

Bait & Tackle

Fiberglass Repair

Long Bay Pointe

Marina 

Rudee Head Boats

Sign in to follow this  
salmonbb

Fishing Report (Norfolk Canyon, 5/28/16)

Went fishing with my buddy Saturday.  I have to pick my days, and the weax and water temps looked good for Saturday - and we'd heard reports of fish - so we went.  Got to the Canyon around 0900 and started fishing due East a little before 0930 outside a congregation of boats (we estimate as many as 100 boats, with mine easily being the smallest!).  Temps were about 67-69 deg. 

I fish 4 rods, and about an hour into it, all four went off and screamed.  First time ever I've had a full knockdown.  We ended up losing 3 of the four, but managed to land the last one ... about a 30 pound YFT. 

A couple hours later, with water temps over 70 deg (later in the day, we got into water just shy of 75 deg), two of the rods went off.  Immediately we lost one, but I held onto mine for 40 mins ... no kidding ... before I lost him.  Very disappointing loss ... we got eyes on him at one point with the leaders almost breaking the surface, but it was hard to gauge how big he was.  Based on how he fought, I'm guessing 60 pound minimum, but for all I know he might have topped 100 ... he fought like he was bigger.  Whole thing made me second guess how I fought him, but I think that between me and the driver, we did just about all we could.  I thought about torqueing on the drag more and just trying to turn him, but I could hear the line getting that tensile sound to it.  I could feel the hook moving a couple times, and I think that he either wasn't hooked too well, or he was hooked well and eventually we just wore enough on him that he was able to throw the hook at one point. 

Any suggestions out there on best ways to fight really big fish?  You know, in the kind of fights where you feel like you are getting owned for most of it?  Been fishing my whole life, so I'm not a novice ... but I'm not too proud to listen.  I just don't want to get owned like that again.  I would think that with fairly stout JB tuna rods, and a TLD 30 Shimano reel loaded with 80 lb mono with 100 pound floro leader, I should be able to torque in something less than 100 lbs in a lot less that 40 mins.  So, I feel like maybe I'm doing something wrong.  I don't think I had the drag set too loose ... again, I heard that line twinging, and think that if I'd tightened down more (I thought of it), I might have parted the line ... but who knows, maybe I did have it too light.  My back and arms were toast after that fight.  Boat handler did a masterful job keeping the fish off our starboard quarter throughout, jockeying between slight ahead and neutral intermittently.  Maybe the fish was much bigger than we thought.  Either way, I accept that we can't win 'em all, and that fish certainly earned his victory.

• Like 1