Bait & Tackle

Fiberglass Repair

Long Bay Pointe

Marina 

Rudee Head Boats

Sign in to follow this  
BLACK ADDER

Snakes

Well, it's that time of year again, when yours truly and kids spend much more time on the beach than the woods and swamps. However, it is also time when the snakes are making a big appearance on the waters and land of the local area. Now, I have bought boots for the grandsons, even though after fishing with me since age three, they have always kept alert for snakes and (so far) not had any bad encounters. I am,however , thinking of getting myself a pair of snake boots , as my life long time in the woods MUST be making my chances and percentages point toward CONTACT! Anyway, I received a very nice gift certificate to Dick's Sporting Goods in V.B.. Looking through their catalog online, I see they have a pair of boots from "Field & Stream" for 100.00. Ratings on this boot are half excellent, while others rate them low. As the price is covered ,making them free to me, I can hardly go wrong, but I prefer to have your opinions, if possible.

What say you?

BA

PS As my wife ,the know-it-all, says, I wouldn't even THINK of buying snake boots for myself...it's the FREE part that tempts me! :cool_smiley:

After examining the boots, I found them ACTUALLY priced at $119.00...and they were very poor quality....no sale

Still, we had a timber rattler rattle at us on Sunday afternoon near Sebrel. Would have liked to be wearing something besides shorts and tennis shoes...wife and daughter also dressed same...he slithered off after making sure we understood WHOSE woods we were in!

Ticks were bad again, saw a mother and two baby skunks, a couple life birds, and bundles of turkeys....fishing poor, with one yellow perch and one catfish in Lake Drummond Saturday and nothing at Chowan Saturday afternoon. Oh,well.

BA

I have only had one run in with a rattler. It was on horseback. Thank goodness the horse never saw it or I could have had a wild ride.

BA,

Cant speak about the "field&stream" boots but i have some Danners.  I love them they are comfortable and having that piece of mind makes it worth it.  I read an article in F&S a while ago and the moral of the story was a good pair of snake boots would of cost the man $300 and saved him over $400k.