Virginia Beach Fishing

You can support VBSF.net by becoming a GOLD SUPPORTER Today!

Sign in to follow this  
BLACK ADDER

NEWS FROM THE BEACH

The news is:  we aren't getting any. That usually means folks are catching.  I can say I had a great spot and roundhead bite last Saturday, but nothing else.Water was warm and clear with SE wind, and I was hoping for pompano, but nadda. Kept fresh bait (spot and menhaden) out on heavers all day without result. While wading out to the near sandbar, you could see crabs all over the place, which explains why you had to check yer bait about every 15-20 minutes. Saw one sharpnose shark caught, heard about a couple bluefish, and someone caught a cobia closer to the fence. Ah,well....

And, Tony, since we are getting so little input from folks on this site, I worry about the site going away. I can say I have greatly appreciated VBSF over the years.

Thanks!

BA

PS I didn't mention I was at BBNWR, did I? Gee, even I am keeping info from myself!!! :glare:

VBSF.net | Fishing Reports From Virginia Beach VA To Hatteras NC 

Thanks for the report BA! Good luck on the pampano, my favorite surf fish. Thanks to great sponsors the site is solid. Our visitors are at an all time high, but FB has hurt community forums.  I may do some tweaking to the forum this fall. But don't worry about the site .... traffic is great.

Here's where our US visitors are coming from.

Thank you for taking the time to check in with us BA!

Screen Shot 2016-08-04 at 5.49.20 PM.png

Whew!

A non-fisher woman friend of mine fished Sandbridge  and slayed spots,croakers and roundheads.

BA

I noticed they were getting some nice coolers full of spot off the Lynnhaven Pier. Hopefully there will be some really big yellow bellies available soon.

And more news....

Water warm Saturday, with lots of good-sized spots, roundheads, bluefish, short flounder, all in the sluice. Water was clear enough to see small butterfly rays around my bare feet several times, as well as jacks and pompano zipping around. Heard somebody up the beach caught a couple pomps, but I couldn't get it done because I couldn't keep the spots and roundheads off my FB's and sandfleas! Anyway, should be back on the beach this Saturday early...we are fishing a different spot about fifty yards from our usual spot, as the baitfish are consistently in the hole and I gotta keep my grandson in fish. Something I learned with Dr.Wright... :cool_smiley:

BA

And Labor Day....

Caught 7 pups in the really mixed-up surf, and six were over 18"!  Mr.Ranger at BBNWR said I was the only person catching keepers. Anyway, I released them all....also two very nice pompano...Was on the beach ALL DAY, so had to work for them. Bait was BWFB and cut spot, and both spurts of fish happened at mid tide...4 on the mid-rising tide and three on the mid-falling tide. FISH WERE NOT FAR FROM SHORE,SPORTS FANS! You may be casting over them!!!

BA

Beach news was all negative...

Fished super freshly-caught mullet, with only two small bluefish, one short flounder, and one small pompano. Was there ALL DAY.

Weather conditions were superb, with a nice frontal north-easter that SHOULD have been drummy.

Oh,well.

p.s. 9/28 Heard from Little Island Pier...they only caught a couple drum over the weekend. Not worth the hassle of the crowd, if you ask me.

BA