Virginia Beach Fishing

SPONSORS

Long Bay Pointe

Bait & Tackle

Fiberglass Repair

Long Bay Pointe

Marina 

Rudee Head Boats

Trolled the Green Can to the Ramada yesterday afternoon in the 30' to 37' foot depths.  Saw some bait toward the bottom and mid-level, but no discernable marks on fish ... and definitely none in the boat.  Was hopeful, because the previous day as my son and I drove across the CBBT we noticed some crazy bird action (haven't seen the likes of it in the past 5 years) about a mile below the 2nd Island.  Oh well, looks like the new norm is no coastal fishery anymore ... something has changed which is keeping those fish further out, and I don't think it's because they have gotten smarter.

We all know why they stay offshore.......... Omega!   There is nothing to chase into the bay to eat anymore.

Big fish follow little fish, all the little fish get scooped up, nothing to follow.

I was out on the 19th. Headed toward Eastern Shore from Henry - little bait balls, but nothing like years ago. Watched a humpback breach 3 times (once up closer than I'd like), then ran back toward the green can. Figured I wouldn't find striper around the whales

Ran around looking for any serious bait and found none. Trolled some more out to the 3 mile line and back to shore, but only excitement was the whales.

I can't swear Omega is the reason our striper fishing has changed so much, but I'd sure be happy if Virginia followed EVERY other east coast state and banned menhaden fishing in state waters. In November I was out at the 3rd island and they had 5 trawlers, 2 fairly large boats to position the nets, several small boats and an airplane within a mile of the island. I pulled up and headed in. Figured my few lines in the water didn't stand a chance.