Virginia Beach Fishing

SPONSORS

Long Bay Pointe

Bait & Tackle

Fiberglass Repair

Long Bay Pointe

Marina 

Rudee Head Boats

Opened at  BBNWR Saturday 0800hrs and dead low tide....Nadda the first hour with wind from SW and tide slow. Wind switched up to SE and tide started to roll. Fish turned on at once. Caught 15 large roundheads in an hour or so. Then grandson caught a "SANDBRIDGE GRAND SLAM" : a four lb sheepshead, a striper and a puppy drum. With most of the roundheads, I suppose it earned a SUPER GRAND SLAM....but his head is too swollen now, :cool_smiley: . Ranger Brian said he heard that some little kid was catching ALL the fish n the beach and wondered if it was my grandson...he said he thought it was us. Secret? Fish close to beach and use sandfleas...we caught nothing on anything else.

good report and awesome to hear that you guys had that much luck!

And another report from BBNWR:

Fished Wednesday alone, 0730 till 1400 hrs...One menhaden...Got a SCREAMING heaver run that must have been wrapped somehow or other as the line was cut ABOVE the shock line...never felt the fish. Saw one huge  ray and at least a couple good sized sharks zipping around through the menhaden  schools. I was the only person fishing, as nobody else was stupid enough to put up with the heat and swarms of biting flies. It was a stiffish south-west wind which just rings the dinner bell for those guys...

Also went to Mackey Island in the afternoon...slow with the approaching cold front....one bass, a big bluegill, and a handful of white perch. 

Bugs have been horrible everywhere I have been for the last week. Congaree Swamp, SC, Sand Hills NWR ,SC Liberty Hill Natural Area, SC, and all over VB. Gonna be a ROUGH year, sports fans! :glare:  

And a further note: Report from Sandbridge Pier this morning (Friday): a few roundheads and some small spadefish.  Until the water warms up and the wind stays NE or SE for a couple days, that will be the standard, I am afraid.

426-7200 is the number to call for fishing report from Sandbridge Pier, which is a good reference for BBNWR, as is "ARMY DUCK PIER" which you can Google up and see water temps in the vicinity. Water temp around mid-60's this morning.

BA

That's all,folks! :cool_smiley:  Fished Saturday with grandson at the usual spot until the thunder started. One small roundhead. Not pushing it next weekend. If weather doesn't switch up to some kinda SE or NE wind, we are fishing elsewhere.

If you get a good report from the suds, let us know!

BA

On a better note, Sandbridge Little Island Pier is "smurfing" the Spanish macs this week with the NE breeze.Water temp up to 67 this am. Of course, that isn't (to me) worth dealing with 4th of July weekend crowds!

And more thread from July 4th: fished BBNWR from 0600 to about 1400hrs. 1 shark and was into large roundheads all day, with one sure citation and all of them large...released everything but a couple roundheads for cut bait.

Just as I was getting ready to leave, wind came around to south-east and water,already very clear, was gorgeous....was tired and hungry and looked like storms around so I left...the tide was also coming in, so the scenario was setup for beaucoup fish...

Hate to talk so much ,or write so much,but nobody else is doing it,so.....

Hotter than the hinges of Hades today. On the beach at about 0630 and off around noon. As I have been clobbering the roundheads lately, I broke my own rule..."DON'T GO TO BBNWR WITHOUT BAIT"!

Menhaden came close so managed some baits and caught some roundheads. One sustained run on heaver with menhaden head bait but did not hookup. Early on big fish were tearing up the menhaden. As usual, when the water is flat you could see rays on the bottom and the really big ones swimming past,putting a fin or both occasionally out of the water. Also had a rarity: whale heading north to south and blowing huge plumes. From what I could see it was medium size whale. Reminds me of one winter we were running south to striper fish and were going past Dam Neck when I saw multiple plumes and thought they were target practicing. I headed ol' Therapy east in a hurry, until I got close enough to see we were in a pod of whales. Ha!

Getting surf/pier info in Va.Beach is highly difficult. I think you all might HINT at what you are catching. :cool_smiley:

BA

Spent 4 hours at Dam Neck, not a single bite.  Folks who were leaving when we arrived said a lot of Blues and a few Spanish.  Bloodworm FB and sand flea was obviously a poor choice of bait. :smilie_daumenneg:

UPDATED BBNWR NOTE!  Friend of mine fished yesterday and said three ounce sinkers could not hold bottom and seaweed was the pits...BUT WATER WAS WARM! Looks like an interesting surf fishing week, weather-wise. We did not fish surf because of Saturday's weather, but went out to Pasquatank River and caught a bunch of catfish. Bite was spotty as we had an approaching cold front...once that was past, we were bailing 'em in the afternoon.

We hope to hear some of you folks reporting fish this week. Even a negative report is still a report and helpful!

BA