Virginia Beach Fishing

You can support VBSF.net by becoming a GOLD SUPPORTER Today!

Sign in to follow this  
jkmac

chicahominy river

ill be camping at the mouth of the river the last weekend of this month and looking for some tips on what to do. Never fished the river before but im sure theres plenty of catfish and bass to be caught so what would be the more likely fish you would target? I have gear for nearly every type of fishing on the east coast so let me know what you think. I'll only have my jon boat with a 9.9 on the back so im more interested with running up the river rather than towards the bay.

VBSF.net | Fishing Reports From Virginia Beach VA To Hatteras NC 

I suggest you get a campsite by the river itself, which you may want to reserve in advance.Then you can catfish all night. My family have caught blue cats to +50 lbs, but all from shore. With that in mind, you may want to use the johnboat for gathering up bait during the day and then go for the biggies from shore at night. Secondly, running up the various creeks should get you some nice bass. We have also caught stripers from shore during the summer, but we do not target them.

I appreciate the response, what do you recommend as far as bait goes for the blues? my go to is gizzard shad but I grew up fishing bugs island lake so didn't know if mabe shrimp or something would work close to the bay like the campground is

Shad,white perch, spots, whatever , is good for the big blue ones, but we always use cut eel. Have had 90% or more cats on eel....but we rarely use anything else, so that is hardly a

scientific result! We use regular circle hooks, but usually no larger than 6/0. Our hook ups seem to be better with a smaller hook. And SHARPEN THAT BAD BOY! Someone once wrote that you can tell the difference between people that catch catfish and cat fishermen by the sharpness of their hooks. If you are fishing next to an old guy with grandson and they are sharpening hooks between fish, you are likely sitting next to ol' BA!