Virginia Beach Sport Fishing Forum

Guest basstardo

New Virginia State Record Striped Bass 73.25 pounds!

On my last trip we where in the same area, and our biggest fish just under 40 pounds was caught on a red and white stretch 30. Glad I already have my set of Stretches. I can imagine the rush to the tackle stores has already begun.

On my last trip we where in the same area, and our biggest fish just under 40 pounds was caught on a red and white stretch 30. Glad I already have my set of Stretches. I can imagine the rush to the tackle stores has already begun.

Tackle shops ran out of red and white stretch 30's. So I have set up free red and white paint your own stations at most shops in the area. I only request you give a small donation to our VBSF forum in return (grin) :laughing-smiley-002:

Tackle shops ran out of red and white stretch 30's. So I have set up free red and white paint your own stations at most shops in the area. I only request you give a small donation to our VBSF forum in return (grin) :laughing-smiley-002:

Hmmm. I've got a brand new Red and White Stretch 30 that I received as a X-mas present. Perhaps, it's time to put it up for sale! LOL! Perhaps eBay :D

Guest GIGOLOT

I hope its the old one, the new ones made in "china" are different shape/colors.

Yeah, what the hell were they thinking? Why mess with something that works. I really don't like the new stretch designs. Plus I haven't been able to find the Gray Ghost ones that were so productive for me last year. One tackle shop told me they were discontinued. Luckily I still have some red/whites. They're a little beat up but they still catch fish.

Nothing wrong with beat up lures that catch fish. They are the ones you want to always have in a spread,

-Chris

Congrats to the angler and the captain and his crew. What a great fish this is. It will be interesting to estimate how old the fish is. What a great fishery we have here. We are so blessed with these waters and being so close to it, it just doesnt get any better than this unless you catch a 74 pounder this weekend.

Thanks for the pictures Dr Julie, it really shows just how big this fish is.

Nice job to Fred and his catch.

Mike

Yeah I hope they check it out. Scientists can tell by analyzing the otiliths (ear bones) how old the fish is. Looking at the world record that was caught in NJ in 1982. It was 78 lbs and was stated by biologists to have been born in 1946! Making it around 36 years old. So my guess would be that this hawg is at least 30 yr old. Pretty cool. :food-smiley-015:

The largest striped bass caught commercially was (supposedly) 125 lbs in a pound net down in Carolina. I wonder how old that fish was? We may find out in a few years when the first triple digit striper is weighed (if the bunker hold out that long). I can't wait until the Virginia and World record are the same fish! And there's a good chance someone on this board will be the one to do it! Tight lines and good luck!