Virginia Beach Sport Fishing Forum

From The PilotOnline....you can't make up a better boat name.

Coast Guard donates illegal fish catch to food bank

CAPE CHARLES

February 8, 2008

Thursday afternoon the crew of a Coast Guard helicopter based in Elizabeth City spotted a charter boat about four miles off the Virginia coast.

The boat was fishing in the exclusive economic zone, or EEZ, which separates local waters from federal waters. The boat, based out of Oregon Inlet, N.C., was fishing Atlantic striped bass.

Fishing for Atlantic striped bass is allowed in state waters, but illegal in the EEZ.

A boat crew with Cape Charles Coast Guard Station seized 11 Atlantic striped bass from the boat and donated them to the Cape Charles Food Pantry. An investigation is ongoing.

The name of the charter boat?

Poacher.

I've seen that boat out there. The pressure on a captian to please his charter has got to be a lot to deal with.

I sure hope they don't do anything to Devin more than ticket him. You wont find a harder fishing captain, willing to burn more fuel and cut into his bottom line to catch fish for clients.

Lesson learned,

i think anything over ten fish is auto min $5k.

I guess my statement in a previous topic about this was wrong (charter boats with bad GPS and or fishing illegal). Apparently charter boats are willing to risk thier license to catch fish and make a buck. Hope they do take this guys boat. I am stuck with a two fish or one fish limit while a charter boat catches illegal fish? That sucks. I thought these guys obeyed the law. I was wrong.

take his boat ?? come on guys he wasnt transporting kilos of coke.

Do the crime do the time, but atleast make it an apropriate time.

I guess my statement in a previous topic about this was wrong (charter boats with bad GPS and or fishing illegal). Apparently charter boats are willing to risk thier license to catch fish and make a buck. Hope they do take this guys boat. I am stuck with a two fish or one fish limit while a charter boat catches illegal fish? That sucks. I thought these guys obeyed the law. I was wrong.

I bet you wouldn't be on your soap box if it was your Boat! You think it is fitting to take a mans lively hood away? Make it so he can't support his family. And what would YOU do with anything more than a 2 fish a day limit? Let it rot in your freezer? The guy made a bad judgement call, I'm sure the CG will punish him enough. He doesn't need some guy with a pitch fork knocking on his door too. Must be nice to be able to walk on water and be perfect.

take his boat ?? come on guys he wasnt transporting kilos of coke.

Do the crime do the time, but atleast make it an apropriate time.

Agreed! The gov't shouldn't have that power over a relatively minor offense. Slap him with a fine, but don't take his livelihood away. Unfortunately, the baby is thrown out with the bath water too often. Common sense and gov't are mutually exclusive concepts.

See #6

VCBA BOARD MEETING MINUTES 1/21/08

The January 21st meeting was held at Lowrey?s Restaurant in Tappahannock, VA. President Robert Hewlett opened the meeting at 7:00 p.m. by introducing Red Gilbert, (Chief, Uninspected Vessel Branch, USCG Sector, Hampton Roads) and Lt. Aaron Demo (Domestic Vessels Branch, U.S. Coast Guard Sector, Hampton Roads) (757-668-5511). The Coast Guard representatives responded to a list of eleven questions that had been submitted to Joe Shelton by the membership. Following are the responses to each question:

1. Who does the TWIC requirement apply to on a charter boat? When? Why?

The requirement applies to all charter boat operators. The TWIC card is absolutely required by anyone holding a credential issued by the Coast Guard. The TWIC cards are available now and must be obtained by September 25, 2008. We need the card to meet the requirements of Federal Law. (The Association will provide additional information on when and where we can obtain the cards locally as soon as the information is available.)

2. Is a person showing a yacht required to be licensed? No

3. Do Non-licensed personnel using internet web page for sharing expenses require a Coast Guard License?

A license is required if the customer has paid a ?consideration? to go on your boat. The Coast Guard will investigate every officially reported incident but will not look into incidents that are not officially reported.

4. Explain the Alcohol Testing Requirement. Can the results of the test be used as evidence by the Coast Guard or in criminal proceedings?

The Coast Guard has always had an alcohol test requirement, this has not changed. In June of 2006 the Coast Guard required that you need the ability to take an alcohol test within 2 hours for every serious marine incident. You may test yourself and your mate(s) on board or go to an official testing station within 2 hours. (Mate is defined as part of the crew if the mate has any responsibility for operation of the vessel or safety of the passenger.) The results of the test must be provided on your accident report (2692). A serious incident is any situation that requires medical treatment other than first aid.

The results of the on-board test using your own kit cannot be used for criminal prosecution. The purpose of this test is for data collection only.

If the Coast Guard arrives on the scene within the 2 hour period and administers the alcohol test you are covered.

5. Does the Drug program apply to all captains and mates?

Yes and all captains can meet the requirement by joining a consortium which has a random testing program. If a mate has any responsibilities in the operation of the vessel or the safety of the passenger he must have a drug card.

6. What about striped bass enforcement in the EEZ?

The Coast Guard Office of Law Enforcement is aggressively pursuing violators of the law prohibiting fishing for striped bass outside of the 3 mile limit. The penalty is $100 per fish on the first offense and $500 per fish on subsequent offences.

QUESTIONS RELATED TO INSPECTED BOATS (LT Demo addressed these questions)

1. What about scupper size? Depends on the size of the vessel.

2. What about life raft requirement? Depends on the route and many other factors

3. What about the inconsistencies in the COI requirement? Depends on the area of operation.

4. What is the status of the USCG Outreach Program? The local sector does not have a program but is willing to start one upon request.

5. Any new regulations in the pipeline? The per person weight for the stability test may change to 180 ? 185 lbs per person. (NNACO will alert everyone when this happens.)

6. What about striped bass enforcement in the EEZ?

The Coast Guard Office of Law Enforcement is aggressively pursuing violators of the law prohibiting fishing for striped bass outside of the 3 mile limit. The penalty is $100 per fish on the first offense and $500 per fish on subsequent offences.

-----Yea i thought i remembered that correctly, (i got friends in high places haha) anything over ten fish is 5k min.