Virginia Beach Fishing

During the Ocean season it is hard to catch a fish that isn't over 32inches, so you're gonna have a hard time catching enough to fill you needs if you only keep 28 - 31 inch stripers after December.

I keep the all the fish I catch until I"ve got my limit if they are legal, after that if it's nice I might do some catch and release but normally head to the barn and start the bar-b-que and break open a couple of beers.

conservation is the limits set by the people who study the fishery.....if they say 2 fish per person over 28" then they know what they are talking about. If they see a problem I'm sure they won't hesitate to lower the limit or change the size.

I think their plan is working based on the size of fish being caught over the last 3 years. They just keep getting bigger and there are more of them. The season (ocean season) so far has been frigging awesome and it's still early. I can only imagine the size and amount of fish that January is going to bring.

Catch and keep what you feel comfortable with, that's cool, but unless VMRC changes the size limits, if it's over 28inches, it's going in the Coffin......Bob

VBSF.net | Fishing Reports From Virginia Beach VA To Hatteras NC 

Bobs spot on.

The limit used to be two each and I have only caught one in the slot range or under in three years. Keep this kind of topic for some up north kind of website. I'm bringing my rig 270 miles one way with customers and friends. There have been a few trips where few were caught due to inaccurate forecasts and coolers were slight for the hundreds we each pay on each trip. I don't need anyone telling me not to keep a legal fish when I have squinted my eyes all day into 25kt winds and had my saliva being ripped out of my mouth when looking around the plastic.

I kayak fish, if im lucky enough to limit out, im done. I catch my limit and head home. I bob up and down and have waves breaking over the yak and onto me and im not doing it for nothing, im gonna keep them. I eat everything i catch normally within a week or two. I release way more fish than i catch.

Guido, your intent was good but you ran into a solid wall of hardcore meat fishermen! LOL! Personally, my compromise position is I don't kill trophy sized stripers to eat. If I catch a 40 lb striper, in the box it goes. If I catch another, back it goes, even if it's bigger. I've caught my fair share of trophy fish of many species and it's time to give some back. So the second one gets a pass. There are exceptions. Tournament fishing of course, and a particularly large fish would go in the box. But for the most part, I've only kept one trophy sized striper per year. Before Jimbob and Tom come and beat me up, I only do this with stripers. I'll catch and keep 10 citation mahi mahi if the fish gods sent them my way! LOL!

As to the large amount of 40 lb class fish being caught this year, there is a reason. Some of the larger "young of the year" classes are entering the 40 lb weight class and are now considered trophy sized fish. We were catching these same fish several years ago as 20 lb fish and they formed the backbone of the ocean trolling season. When these fish reach the 60 lb class things should be real interesting.

Idunno, you are right, there are less juvenile stripers in the creeks all across the bay. The last couple "young of the year" classes have been some of the smallest since striper fishing was reopened. Fishing, both recreational and commercial had nothing to do with it though. Environmental conditions such as water temperature and salinity may be the prime culprits and these cycles are considered natural. No one is alarmed. Yet.

And I finally, I agree with Bob. The system, if politics are set aside, can work to maintain fish stocks. Sometimes it's painful, like with flounder the last couple of years, and sometimes it's not. But it can work. The menhaden situation is a different rant.

Everyone has valid points in their posts and God Bless America, we all have the right to express ours. There is a difference, I think, in someone who lives on the water and fishes several times a week for pleasure only, a charter, and those that trailer a long distance only for limited trips just for rockfish. We keep only what we can reasonably consume in a household in which I am the only true seafood lover. I will occasionally bring some fish to those that love them and can't afford to get them on their own. I don't try to feed the world, don't want to waste any fish, think allowing fish to freezerburn is just plain wrong and try to never exceed my limit or push the size regulations. If we all follow the regs, I think everything will be fine. I personally just don't keep anything I don't need. I will also keep a legal, gut hooked fish and release a larger healthy fish if that comes into question. I have never filed the paper for citations when I have caught them, fresh or saltwater or release because it does nothing for me, personally. I love to fish, love just being on the water and I love to eat fish as well but don't want so many I have to eat them every day. So fish when you can, keep what you have need for and is within the law and enjoy yourself. We have many choices in this country and if we can just remember our many blessings and allow others to have their own opinions, we can all get along. Of course, it is your right to disagree but if your want to be wrong, that's OK with me :P Toss one down for slick water and bent rods- hope to see y'all at the Challenge!

Goerge I aint going to beat you up the only real problem I had with the op was the way it was worded cause it came across as ignorrent and a troll. If you don`t want to keep fish thats fine by me but don`t tell me that I can`t follow the law and keep my 1 fish in the bay now and 2 fish in the ocean cause I do love to fish but l`m all about the meat in the box. I don`t care to play c&r all day just get mine and go home what yall do is your own perogative and wont look down on for releasing a cow

filets.jpg

If you don't fish often and want to stock up a vacuum packer is a must .... it will come in handy for many other foods also.