Virginia Beach Fishing

Sign in to follow this  
Ktrain

Boat Capsized off Chick's Beach.......1 confirmed dead??

It's a fairly long walk to the beach from Arizona, so it's a safe bet they didn't have much knowledge about saltwater in general and this area in particular. Sad story, for sure, and a definite wake-up call for all of us.

VBSF.net | Fishing Reports From Virginia Beach VA To Hatteras NC 

I had the task of running this SAR case from the Coast Guard Sector Hampton Roads Command Center. I won't post all the details on it but I will say all we recieved from the 18ft boat was 2, two second mayday calls with no position or information. Luckily we had a Helo in the area and the VA/MD piolts were also in the area for a quick response. We were able to locate their position from our new Rescue 21 Communications gear that provides a DF Fix if it's in the area of two or more towers. I think all of us boaters can take a lesson learned from this unfortunate event.

My 18 foot semi v hull (Maycraft) maxes out at 4 people, according to the coast guard plaque. 6 is to many for any 18' boat, 4 is to many for mine. Safety first!

Awhile ago, there was a post from a guy driving from Arizona, are these those guys???

Ryan it was one of the tracker walleye boats go to bps and look at the 18 ft model. It is sad day to see hear anybody not making it back safe off the water and like I said before prayers go out to them and also a get well soon to those in the hospital. With the sea conditions and running overweight ( low in the water) they probably stuffed the bow and swamped those boats aren`t ment to self bail that much water nor handle ruff water like that. While a whaler or other type of boat may not sink they can still capsize just as this boat did but the knowledge of the Capitan is always key. I`m not a fare weather fishermen but have learned when to turn around and head to the river to still salvage the day

Thoughts & prayers go out to the families.

Locals, please keep the rest or us up to date. I have not seen or heard anything on any of the Richmond news channels. All they can report is Inauguration stuff.

Thanks.

There was a post from one of these guys a few weeks ago (might have been between Thanksgiving and Christmas). He talked about how he was looking forward to traveling from AZ to here with his friends to catch some rockfish. I remember the post well, I told my wife about it. In the post, it sounded like they had made the trip before. What a sad thing!!

david Looks Fishy :blink:

This is extremely sad. My condolences to the families of the victims. Its truely a hard time for all of them.