Virginia Beach Fishing

You can support VBSF.net by becoming a GOLD SUPPORTER Today!

Well went to the 3rd and 4th island with only one keeper at 21". It was a long day. Saw a couple cobia also.

VBSF.net | Fishing Reports From Virginia Beach VA To Hatteras NC 

Live spot, up to 6" or so is a GREAT flounder bait- probably the preferred bait for big flounder. Most of us either keep a bait rod in the water while drifting or make a stop at a favorite spot to stock up the well before heading out. Netting some finger mullet or even gudgeons is also a good bet. With the smaller baits, fish them with a strip of cut bait. Bluefish (fresh) is one of the best but tube squid is always available and works well. Cut a long, triangular strip and hook the big end behind the minnow/gudgeon/menhaden/finger mullet, which you hook through the mouth. The live bait works the strip to look like a much bigger bait and big bait usually results in big flounder. Croaker are readily available and easy to find. A sabiki rig with bloodworms fishbites is hard to beat for catching bait and if you leave the fishbites on and they dry out, no problem- they work well when you are ready. this past weekend I saw more keepers caught on just small minnows and bare hooks so don't be afraid of small baits either. Almost any Gulp! product will work as well though the swimmig mullet (4")or longer jerkshad, 5-7" are my favorites. A jerkshad or strip bait on a jighead is also really good. Just remember that flounder prefer a moving bait. If you are drifting in a boat, no problem but if you are stationary, keep the bait moving!

Good luck, and keep us posted!

Very well said, thanks for the all the great info here!

There are alot of spots to improve the catching of them. Most of the spots won't get mentioned on here. Best idea is to pay attention to your depth finder and look for any drop offs, holes, ditches, etc. Also keeping an eye on all the other boats and see who's reeling and who's sitting back waiting, obviously if a boat has steady action, figure out where they are and if they might be drifting, power trolling, with current/against/diagonal. Another valuable tool is to offer yourself up to be a boat hoe. I learned most of what I know from riding with people that have been fishing this area for decades and know some tricks and most likely will share their years of learning. Good luck getting into some better action.

Thanks for all the help guys. I wouldn't mind at all if someone wants to come along on my boat. All they need is bait and knowledge.

Thanks for all the help guys. I wouldn't mind at all if someone wants to come along on my boat. All they need is bait and knowledge.

Well went to the 3rd and 4th island with only one keeper at 21". It was a long day. Saw a couple cobia also.

Congrats keep putting in your time and you will have a bucket full (limit that is)