Virginia Beach Fishing

You can support VBSF.net by becoming a GOLD SUPPORTER Today!

Sign in to follow this  
Greg Allman

Planer Boards

Does anyone know of any links to websites or have plans on building your own planer boards? I seen a nice set of plans on downtimecharters website but they wern't to clear on the materials to get.I would like something with three boards and similer to the bloody point boards.Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

VBSF.net | Fishing Reports From Virginia Beach VA To Hatteras NC 

They are hard to find seems like everyone is sold out ......

Light weight aluminium ones, they might make larger ones ..... http://www.outcastplanerboards.com/

Does anyone know of any links to websites or have plans on building your own planer boards? I seen a nice set of plans on downtimecharters website but they wern't to clear on the materials to get.I would like something with three boards and similer to the bloody point boards.Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Greg here's all you need go with 1 x 10 boards i would'nt use less then 1 x 10 and make them at least 30 inches long by 24 inched wide. Here where it can get pricey all stainless hardware 1/4inch all tread( treaded rod)1/4 inch lock nuts 1/4inch fender washer and two 1/4 inch eye bolts with locking nuts. I think the last set i put together cost me around a $100 for everything including paint. Hope this helps. Mark

Here is a set of plans I got a couple of years ago..... I am sure regular pine would work fine.

Quantity Description

4 1" or 1-1/4" x 8" x 28" redwood

6 12" x 5/16" threaded rod

2 6" x 5/16" eyebolt

28 5/16" washers

28 5/16" nuts

1 quart Quality wood sealant

1 quart High vis. or orange paint

post-20255-0-89632500-1323559732_thumb.gif

One thing before you build a set think about how many rods you want to pull of each board. 1x8 with 2 boards will handle about 3 rods per board. One of the sets i'm pulling is a set of 1x10 with 3 boards that are 36 are long by 24 wide and will handle up to 5 or 6 rods. My big set of boards are to made with 3, 2x8 and are 46 inches long by 36 inches wide with these i can pull 8 to 10 rods per board and are great in ruff water. Pine works just fine i haven't broke one yet. Mark

One thing before you build a set think about how many rods you want to pull of each board. 1x8 with 2 boards will handle about 3 rods per board. One of the sets i'm pulling is a set of 1x10 with 3 boards that are 36 are long by 24 wide and will handle up to 5 or 6 rods. My big set of boards are to made with 3, 2x8 and are 46 inches long by 36 inches wide with these i can pull 8 to 10 rods per board and are great in ruff water. Pine works just fine i haven't broke one yet. Mark

I would like to pull 5 to 6 rods off each board.I'am likeing the sound of those big boards you have,this is the first time I have heard of anybody using 2x8"s.

Here's a couple more ..... Phil you should design a light weight aluminum set and add it to the G&H line up!

LINK

Detailed plans

Here's a couple more ..... Phil you should design a light weight aluminum set and them add it to the G&H line up!

LINK

Detailed plans

Tony thats really good set of plans.I like detail.Remember you want your boards to float and a aluminum set probally won't. Also if the boards are too light and the right wave hits them they will flip over and start coming at the boat and got one HELL OF A NIGHTMARE!!! On my 3 board set to help with this i added 40oz of lead to the outside board this helps to keep the board down i the water and keep it pulling hard. Weight and how hard the boards pull matters because the more rods you put out you increase the drag on the tow line creating a bow. And it gets worse with heavier bait. mark

Tony thats really good set of plans.I like detail.Remember you want your boards to float and a aluminum set probally won't. Also if the boards are too light and the right wave hits them they will flip over and start coming at the boat and got one HELL OF A NIGHTMARE!!! On my 3 board set to help with this i added 40oz of lead to the outside board this helps to keep the board down i the water and keep it pulling hard. Weight and how hard the boards pull matters because the more rods you put out you increase the drag on the tow line creating a bow. And it gets worse with heavier bait. mark

Gotcha ..... I've never used them ...... I plan to get a couple of the "Outcast" boards for Smith Mountain Lake. Aluminum might be the way to go ..... it's used on aircraft, it's light-weight, last for many years and takes a lot of abuse. Outcast uses a foam float accross the top to keep it up right and on the surface. Just thinking out loud???? laughing-smiley-002.gif

How did you attach the 40 0z. of weight to the board?