Virginia Beach Fishing

You can support VBSF.net by becoming a GOLD SUPPORTER Today!

Sign in to follow this  
Tony S

Stretch's for Bluefin

mannL.jpg

Manns Giganticus 50+ 10oz 16"

VBSF.net | Fishing Reports From Virginia Beach VA To Hatteras NC 

post-1-0-46826600-1325612126_thumb.jpg

Manns Giganticus 50+ 10oz 16"

Yep..that'll do it.

However, we used to place a monofilament leader to the front eye and then wrap and crimp through each hook for those "bonus fish". Doesn't affect the lure, and if you have ever had a big boy up next to the boat break a hook off and the lure go shooting past your ear, it makes the extra trouble seem no trouble at all.

And good to hear from ya, Tony! Hope you and yours had a good holiday and will have a great 2012!

BA

What brand and size of split rings and hooks do you guys use to beef up a stretch 30. If I do that will the wire in the bill be a weak point? Maybe I should just get the 50.

What brand and size of split rings and hooks do you guys use to beef up a stretch 30. If I do that will the wire in the bill be a weak point? Maybe I should just get the 50.

I remembered a good spot to see how to rig the GIGANTICUS for macho fish.

Go to "LEADERTEC" ,which is an Australian site, and look under "Rigging the Giganticus".

By the way, "Leadertec" has many helpful tips from folks that fish for the big black marlin off the Barrier Reef. Everything is ramped up but fairly simple.

BA

I can only imagine some of the MONSTERS we would have caught in the past 50 years IF I had better quality instruction. Some of the people I have fished with acted like rigging was TOP SECRET (need to know only) INFORMATION and either they enjoyed my having to learn on my own or they didn't have a good grasp of this stuff, either. As a youngster, I remember breaking off like six big bluefin in a row because I used crimps on our cedar plugs but used an inferior ,rusty crimping pliers, not knowing any better. The badly crimped lures went byebye ,many on the initial strike. Of course, SOMEBODY could have informed the mate that I was using bad gear, instead of scowling and freaking out. Oh,well... LIVE AND LEARN!(and get ulcers)

I was at Bass pro this afternoon and bought a box of Mustad 5/0 3X strong hooks to rehook all my stretch 30'S. They had no 4X strong hooks on the shelves (they do have 4X VMC online), and also looked at there split rings. The strongest they had went up to 150 LBS. I held a Stretch 30 up to these 150 LB split rings and the rings on the Stretch 30 looked a heck of a lot stronger i.e. larger wire size and a bit smaller diameter. I may call Mann Lure Comp and find out what the split rings on the Stretch 30'S are rated for. I also picked up some size large Fast Snaps (10 for $3.99) which were mentioned on the inshore thread. So I hope these 3X trebs will work for a BFT if one comes calling. As for the split rings I'll have to do some more digging for a source.

I can get those hooks if you need them.

VooDoo

I can get those hooks if you need them.

VooDoo

Thanks Voodoo, I'll keep that in mind.