Virginia Beach Fishing

You can support VBSF.net by becoming a GOLD SUPPORTER Today!

Sign in to follow this  
Islander80

BBNWR 9/2/2012 COBIA!!!

Let me introduce myself. My name is Paul and I have fished with a lot of you on this forum. This is my first post and I wanted to make it a good one.

Me and Derek (aka 10NKO) hit Back Bay at 0630 this Sunday morning. The bunker were everywhere and the water was like glass. We snagged some bunker and put out the heavers. Then put out the close in rods. The small puppy drum where thick as could be two at a time on BWFB 5 yards off the beach. Derek started to catch a few 16" blues, small spinner sharks and a big round head. All I could manage was the small pups and I'm starting to get a little frustrated. About that time one of my heavers goes off and what ever it is is headed to France. I was only out about 60-70 yards and I didn't get this thing turned around till it was about 150 yards out. Yeah that little 656's drag was screaming. Then it was 10 feet in 5 feet out and a few hundred yard walk down the beach. Another fisherman named Rick stopped by as the fish started to come in close. All three of us see what it is at the same time....a big old cobia. Derek and Rick jump on down in the wash and wrestle it up on the beach. We were all pumped. Then reality sets in that we have a big fish to get off the beach. Derek just outfitted his cart with wheeleez and offers to let me throw it on his cart.Now that's a friend that will go toe to toe with a mad cobia in the wash and then haul it off the beach for you. I run it down to the LIP to get it weighed in. It had a fork length of 51" and a weight of 51lbs.

cfa6ad1b.jpg

f8802bb7.jpg

8cc3a432.jpg

11fb0439.jpg

VBSF.net | Fishing Reports From Virginia Beach VA To Hatteras NC 

bout time you joined this forum. welcome and congrats again buddy. welcome to the club :)

I love the "bring out the dead" photo. Awesome Paul!!

Melody

Nice fishy ... a real prize for surf fishing ... were you using a whole live bunker or cut up? And whats that rod and reel doing laying in the sand ...

Cut bunker. About the size of a half dollar. Heck Steve at that point what that rod and reel were doing was the last thing on my mine. But it survived.

Sweet catch man! Those are the catches, that make all the effort worth while... Congrats and I love when you get those fish that are headed for "France", turned, such a great feeling.

Congrats Paul, and welcome to the site.