Virginia Beach Fishing

You can support VBSF.net by becoming a GOLD SUPPORTER Today!

Sign in to follow this  
Blue Water Brotherhood

Don’t Be “Piggish”

Pig-300x199.jpg

A good friend of mine who is a successful business man and boat owner gave me those words prior to an interview I had many years ago. It’s nothing too profound, but it gets right to the point. When it comes to material wants; don’t be “Piggish”. In God’s economy, we are to be content with our daily bread.

1 Timothy 6:6-8 (NIV)

But godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it. But if we have food and clothing, we will be content with that.

Just a couple of weeks ago I received a phone call from a client asking me if I was available to run his friends brand new 39’ Sea Vee. This was taking place in Key West on a Saturday morning. The cool thing about the whole opportunity was the private jet taking me to Key West and the amount of money I could make in a 26 hour period. There was a good possibility of freelance income throughout the year as well. The only snag was that same Saturday morning I was already committed to another job for 2 hours. I decided to get “Piggish”. I called the client, who I was committed to first, to reschedule. I told him the whole story and opportunity. He agreed and said, “Go for it.” I also said that I would give him 2 hours of my time at no charge.

The next day I received a phone call that the weather in Key West was going to be affected by a passing tropical storm, so the fishing part of the trip will be cancelled. So now I’ve lost out on the original commitment, the 2 day jet set to Key West, plus I owe the original commitment of 2 hours of my time. I got piggish and it cost me.

Proverbs 30:7-8 (NIV)

“Two things I ask of you, Lord; do not refuse me before I die: Keep falsehood and lies far from me; give me neither poverty nor riches, but give me only my daily bread.

Matthew 6:10-11 (NIV)

your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us today our daily bread.

All the glitz and glamor of the private jet and the money and wanting to please my former client distracted me from my normal protocol when making choices. Over the years, my wife and I have become disciplined in spending time in prayer before any decisions are made. Ultimately, our goal is to please God all the time. This time I chose to please my wallet and man. Thankfully, we have a forgiving God. We are going to make mistakes, no one is perfect. How we learn from our miscues is key. God will prune us to make us stronger or He will discipline us to teach us a lesson. Our obedience to God will bring blessings and our rebellion to God, which is sin, will result in folly and hardship.

Psalm 119:133 (NKJV)

Direct my steps by Your word, And let no iniquity have dominion over me.

1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 (NKJV)

Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.

Place your needs, wants and desires at the foot of the Cross and see how God answers your prayers. Make sure you ask the Lord’s Will be done.

Tip:

Don’t be “Piggish” with the boss’s money. You may desire a certain lure or hook or whatever…Make sure you take a step back and evaluate the purchase. Don’t be “Piggish” with your money. Save, save, save! Debt-free is freedom.

Life’s Short, Fish Hard, Pray Harder

Capt. Vinnie

View the full article

VBSF.net | Fishing Reports From Virginia Beach VA To Hatteras NC